The Thun-Panorama remains closed for renovation and the building of a new annexe until Spring 2014.
Thun-Panorama in Schadaupark
The artist always had a particular preference for the Bernese Oberland, whose marvellous mountains, mirrored in the blue of its lakes, have been a revelation for many. Wocher painted his panorama between 1809 and 1814. It was first shown in Basel and after the artist’s death it was presented to Thun as a gift. The painting was forgotten untill it has been possible to restore the work thanks to the efforts of the Eidgenössische Gottfried-Keller-Stiftung. It has been accessible to the public since 1961 in a specially constructed round building in Schadaupark. The panorama is an important artistic an historical document of the city of Thun, showing a view from the quays along the river Aare to Niesen, Blüemslialp, and Jungfrau peaks and back to the castle.
For informations on the extensive publication Marquard Wocher. Das Panorama von Thun please click here.